Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hi Doctor I asked a quesion regarding Golf and high myopia..

Customer Question

Hi Doctor

I asked a quesion regarding Golf and high myopia.. I was satisfied with the answer. I have a follow up question:

As I am a high Myope with a history of RD I would like to know if the centrifugal forces caused by head movement in a Golf swing cause a sudden increase in eye pressure. Would this put me at higher risk?

I found this link online where doctors are advising against playing Golf - this puts me in a desperate situation as I am a very active person and I would not have anything to do.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hi Kinny,

I just read that article that you sent me. Certainly, everything you do will cause some risk. The question is how much of an increase risk. That is an answer we don't know. There has not been a study to look at the increase risk associated with these activities. They are quoting opinions of medical experts, but realize they they are opinions. The opinion that counts the most would be your retina surgeon.

My general advice for post retinal detachment patients is to go back to their daily activities. Golf is a grey area but likely OK. Football is a no-no for me.

So, ask your retina surgeon specifically about golf.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Will ask my retinal surgeon that ... thanks very much for the answer, as it makes perfect sense. The experts in the online article were really giving their opinions and they were not based on any study.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Once again thank you very much for the prompt reply. I had another huge question that was unanswered.. would you like to give it a shot ? If yes can you send me a message

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You can ask you question here and I'll do my best to answer it.