Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hello! My 7 year old daughter woke up with a swollen eyelid.

Hello! My 7 year old daughter woke up with a swollen eyelid. There is evidence of two small insect bites on her forehead, one is right above the swollen I think she was bitten on the eyelid, tho I cannot find an entry wound. She says it does not hurt or itch, but that it does feel like sand is in it when she looks around. I put an icepack on the eye and it looks a bit better...should I take her to the Urgent Care? Thank you! Monica
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hello Monica,

Thank you for your question.

The skin around bug bites can be swollen for two reasons. The first is a local reaction to the toxins. The ice packs should help. An over the counter antihistamine may help as well.

The second reason could be any early infection. The area will be swollen, red, and tender. This will need antibiotics to treat. If the swollen area gets worse and more painful, then I recommend her pediatrician, ophthalmologist, or urgent care for a prescription of antibiotics.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile