Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have just developed hundreds of little spots in one eye.

I have just developed hundreds of little spots in one eye. The spots are very small and some look like hollow circles while others are dark spots
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
<p>hello there</p><p>how is the vision besides the spots you see? how old are you? do you have diabetes? if so how long? are there flashes of light in your eye? are you particularly near sighted?</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 58, I am not a diabetic. The vision is okay and it is only in the left eye. It first began last night when I thought I saw something hanging in front of my eye. There was nothing on or near my eye but I had a black streak at the left peripheral side of the eye. This morning I used an eye wash in case there was something on the surface of the eye. Then at mid day today I went outside and saw these little spots, some appear solid and some hollow. The eye feels as if there is something on 'glue like' on the surface.
Hello there
Hello there

You are describing floaters. Since your floaters developed recently, you should have your eyes examined. The reason is that this may simply be floaters in the gel, as a normal consequence of the aging eye, however it may also be a sign of a torn or detaching retina. You should be seen in the next day or two, however, if you experience new flashes of light (often described as an arc of light off to the side), or a blind spot or curtain in your vision, you should be evaluated tomorrow for sure. I hope this helps, Sincerely XXXXX