Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

What are the surgical options for a recurring detached retina

Customer Question

What are the surgical options for a recurring detached retina? My 67 year old mother is about to undergo surgery for her third tear in the same eye in 2 months.

She also has a large cataract in the eye which is complicating the matter even further. Should the cataract be removed to make it easier to detect further tearing?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
hello there
what types of surgeries have been done so far? how is the vision, do you know the acuity?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The prior two surgeries were crytology with the gas bubble, but the her symptoms (seeing flashes of light, seeing green-she says it's like wearing green sunglasses all the time) continue. She is visiting me on vacation, and I had her go to a retina dr. in my city, he stated she had another tear and needed to return home immediately to get it fixed again.
Hello there
if she has a new tear, but no detachment, the best option is to repeat the cryo and again consider gas injection if needed. I would not do surgery for either the cataract or retina unless retina detaches at which point she will need invasive surgery. Also if the cataract gets significant that will need to be addressed but shoudl be delayed if there is sufficient view in to see the tear and treat it adequatley. Again, at this point, cryo and =/- gas is ideal. Regards
One last thing I wanted to add, the retina surgeon should or may consider prophylactic laser all the way around the retina to prevent detachment in case more tears occur in this eye. Fellow eye needs good monitoring as well, Dr. Stevens