Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My right eye is heavily bloodshot and I have a head ache on

My right eye is heavily bloodshot and I have a head ache on the right side of my head, this happens about once in a while and it usually takes 2 to 3 days to clear...What can that be...

I don't smoke and my BP average 110/60
HiCustomer

How old are you? Do you have any nausea or vomiting? Any decrease in vision? What do you use to make it go away?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr James

I am 39 and have no nausea or vomiting and my Vision is fine.

Just an ache on the right side of my head
Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful.

Red eyes can be caused by a number of things. This is usually a sign of irritation, such as allergies or dry eyes. Though this is usually on both sides.

One thing I am concerned about is an intermittent increase in eye pressure (intermittent angle closure glaucoma). This can happen on one side, causing that eye to be red, sometimes associated with nausea and vomiting. You may also see halos around bright lights.

I recommend you see an ophthalmologist to make sure it is not this. They will need to perform a gonioscopy, a part of the exam not normally done on everyone. If you develop persistent eye pain with nausea and vomiting with decrease vision, you may need urgent evaluation in ER.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile