Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

66 year old female in good dark brown eyes have turned

Customer Question

I am a 66 year old female in good health and in the last 8 hrs. my dark brown eyes have turned green
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
<p>hello there</p><p>has this happened before? how did you notice this? what exactly are you doing? are you wearing green, were you outdoors when you noticed this? </p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no to all questions
Hello there
this is not something I have seen before, most commonly, patients perception of iris color is simply that, perception. I would suggest getting your eyes examined if you still feel that the color change is present in the morning. I can also allow some of my colleagues here to chime in. Regards
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

I am one of the other eye experts here. I agree with Dr. Stevens on his answer above. I have not seen or heard of a case where the iris color changes that rapidly.

It would be helpful to have someone look your eyes and look at it again tomorrow under the same lighting so they tell if the eye color has change.

There are a few cases where the iris color is different between the two eyes (termed iris heterochromia). If you are on glaucoma drops (such as Xalatan or Travatan), iris color change change. Another condition mostly seen in women is Fuchs' heterochromic iridocyclitis. Also, congenital horner's syndrome can cause a difference in iris color between the two eyes.

All those changes I mentioned above, however, occur over time. To be sure, I would recommend a complete examination by your local ophthalmologist.