Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My left eye lid have been swollen since Sunday evening

Customer Question

My left eye lid have been swollen since Sunday evening. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Do you know what started it? Has it been getting worse, or slowly getting better? What are you currently using for it, eyedrops?

Wear contacts? Decrease in vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It stay the same. I went to CVS to a Clear eyedrops for itchyey yesterday. I been using it every 1/2 hour. I don't wear any contacts or glasses.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Swollen eyelid can be due to irritation (from dry eyes or allergies). The eyedrops should help with that.

It can also be caused by a stye, which is a blocked oil gland of the eyelids (similar to a pimple). Warm compresses can help with that to soften up the oils and allow it to self drain. If you notice the swelling of the eyelid spreading or worsening, you may need oral antibiotics.

If you are having a thick discharge, this can be a sign of bacterial conjunctivitis and will need antibiotic eye drops.

So, you can try warm compresses 2-3 times a day as well as continue your eyedrops. If it does not resolve or worsens, I recommend you visit with an ophthalmologist for possible antibiotics.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile