Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

how can my eyes be treated because they get crusted together

Customer Question

how can my eyes be treated because they get crusted together when i wake up in the morning they are sore and red and my eyes are alittle blurrey all day
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
Hello there
what is your age? how long has this been going on? have you tried anything for this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am 44yrs old my eyes have been like this for just over a fortnight i was surgested to take chloramphenicol eye drops a week ago but nothing has changed
Hello there

it sounds like you have blepharitis which is typically a chronic low grade infection. Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices.

The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps loosen up the debris on the lashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin / chloramphenicol ophthalmic ointment to the base of the lashes.

This regimen helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks. You may try this without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to your doctor for a prescription for the ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

I hope this helps, this condition is a nuisance for many people and until the diagnosis is made, it can lead to lots of irritation and discomfort.

I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i sorry but your sugestions does not help me much because i have already tried what you have mentioned i was hoping on something different
If you have already tried this, I would suggest a course of antibiotics orally such as doxicycline. That is something I consider in refractory cases of blepharitis. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX