Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

my 2 year old grandson just started eye-blinking on and off

my 2 year old grandson just started eye-blinking on and off during the day. At first I thought it might have been sun tan lotion in his eyes but it has continued for about 10 days. Any thoughts???
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

It is difficult to say what is going on with young children because they are not able to verbalize their symptoms very well.

Certainly, irritation in the eyes would be the first thought, but having it last for 10 days is long for that. His vision in that eye could be deteriorating and he is brinking as a way to try to focus. Most kids are far-sighted (hyperopic). If mild, are able to see quite well by focus.

I would recommend he get an exam to check if he needs glasses. An optometrist or ophthalmologist comfortable seeing young kids or a pediatric ophthalmologist. It is important that he gets a "cycloplegic refraction".

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile