Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I HAVE EXELLANT EYE SIGHT

I HAVE EXELLANT EYE SIGHT? I AM 76 YRS OLD AND STILL CAN READ THE MORNING PAPER WITH OUT GLASSES. I DO HAVE GLASSES FOR DISTANCE. I AM THINKING ABOUT CATARACT SURGERY, BUT HESITANT BECAUSE OF MY ABILITY TO READ WITH OUT GLASSES. MY PROBLEM IS THIS. STOP LIGHTS AND AUTO MOBI;E LIGHT , I SEE 3 IMAGES WITH IN A SMALL RADIUS. I AM NOW SEEING 3 MOONS WITH A 4TH ONE BEING CLOSER. IAM A;SO HAVING DIFFICULTY WITH FAR VISION OBJECTS AND T.V. PRINTIN MOR THAN 5 FT AWAY. TRAFFIC SIGNS CLEAR UP WHEN I AM WITHIN 20 OR 30 FT, L ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH NIGHT DRIVING, BUT IT HELPS WHEN I WEAR YELLOW SUN GLASSES. AM I CUREABLE. LEONARD A. MILLER
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Have you had a recent eye exam to determine how bad your cataracts are?
Have you limited your driving at night due to the vision changes?
When was the last time your glasses prescription was updated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES, I HAD AN EXAM APP. 1 YEAR AGO AND WAS GOING TO HAVE CATARACT SURGERY,BUT DECIDED AGAINST IT BECAUSE OF BEING ABLE TO STILL READ WITH OUT GLASSES AND MY FAR DISTANCE SEEING WAS BETTER THAN IT IS NOW. NO, I HAVE NOT LIMITED MY NIGHT DRIVING AS I USE THE YELLOW GLASSES WHEN I NEED TO, AND ONLY NEED TO IS THERE IS A THREAT OF RAIN OR IS RAING.. GLASSES WERE UPDATED APP 1 YEAR AGO
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful.

As you already know, the decision to undergo cataract surgery is a personal one. The reasons to undergo it is different for everyone. Some patients what to see the needle better while sewing, while others want to read better. In your case, it would be to help with the night-time driving vision.

You have a few options.

1) observe the cataracts and continue as you are with the yellow glasses.
2) try to update your glasses prescription to see if they help
3) opt for cataract surgery.

If you are worried about losing the ability to read without glasses, you can ask your surgeon to implant a lens that allows for that. This means, however, you'll still need glasses to drive. But the quality if vision should be much improved.

There are new implantable lenses that attempt to give good near and distance vision. These, however, has there drawbacks and currently not the majority of lenses implanted during cataract surgery.

So, I would revisit with your ophthalmologist for an exam. If you decide to go with surgery, ask about making your reading vision clear without glasses and then wearing glasses to drive.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THIS INFORMATION, I ALREADY KNEW. WHY OR WHAT IS THE DIAGNOSIS FOR ME SEEING 3 DIFFERENT HALO,S? IS IT THE START OF MACULAR DEGERATION OR IS IT DUE TO CATARACTS OR SOMETHING ELSE???????                          
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
It is most likely due to the cataracts. Macular degeneration tends to give blind spot and distortion of objects.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon