Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

his nose started to bleed..his friend told him your eye is bleeding

My son Richard just called and said that he had been working out at the gym, lifting 350 pounds and his nose started to bleed, then his friend told him your eye is bleeding. He became concerned.

He called me to ask if his dad was awake so he could talk to him. I told him he went to bed about 6:30.

He thinks the bleeding has something to do with the nose bleed, since the sinus passage is close to the eyes.
How is his vision? Any pain in the eyes? Has the bleeding stopped?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He said his vision is fine. The eye doesn't hurt. The bleeding has stopped. He said. "there was some blood left in the corner of his eye."

I asked him if he had a headache and he said, "yes, but I usually do anyway."

I told him I would look it up on the Internet and then call him back with the results I found.

He likely bled from one of the small blood vessels of the conjunctiva (the clear covering of the eyes). This was likely due to the increased pressure while he was holding his breath, lifting the 350 lbs. Blood from the eyes can drain into the nose, just like tears drain into the nose when you cry.

If the bleeding has stopped and his eyes have no pain and no change in vision, he should be OK.

I would recommend he gets his eyes checked sometime this week.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

~~Dear Dr. James~~

Thank you for your quick response to my question.

I appreciate it very much!

You're welcome. Smile