Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

my husband has filamentary keratitis, his flares up constantly,

my husband has filamentary keratitis, his flares up constantly, in both eyes is there anything that can be done to help him, very painful and he has to scrap the filaments off constantly.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

What treatments has your husband tried? What is he currently using? Any medical problems? What other medications is he on? When was the last time he saw an eye doctor?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he uses regular eye drops. gel eye drops, tears ete drops,,,hot towels,,cold towels contacts mad for that supposely,, his dr. told him nothing can be done,,couple years ago...they gave him no hope..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he also has a heart problem but only takes nitro glycerin when flares up, once a month or so....thank you very much for any help donna
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hello Donna,

Thank you for the additional information. Filamentary keratitis is a caused by chronic severe dry eyes. The key is to control the dry eyes as best you can.

Some possible changes:
-if he is using regular artificial tears more than 6 times a day, it is recommend he switch over to preservative free.
-possible punctal occlusion or punctal cautery to prevent the tears from draining into his nose
-addition of Restasis twice a day (prescription)
-short couse of topical steroids during flare-ups

I understand the frustration you and your husband must be going through. This is a chronic disease that needs constant attention. I believe there is still hope. You make consider a visit with a cornea specialist who may be better able to manage the filamentary keratitis.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile