Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Twice I lost my vision in my left eye for a few minutes while

Twice I lost my vision in my left eye for a few minutes while lying down. It goes completely black. Afterwards the eye is either total dialated or the pupil is very small. I also get a severe headache after. I do suffer from aura migraines but at the time of the incident there is no warning. It happened late at night and while my head was turned.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
HoCustomer

I have read your question. Have you had a recent eye exam? Is it only in your left eye? Any pain in that eye? Do you get a severe headache after every episode of vision loss?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It only happened twice in the past two weeks. The last time it happened I had a twitch in the eye lid. I have a appointment on the 19th with Swaggle and Wooten. I haven't seen him since 2005. I made the appointment because I was having little lights that flash through my vision. A very small light. Almost like a flotter but its not dark.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
It is difficult to pinpoint the cause of your unilateral visual loss. I suspect, however, that it may have something to do with a temporary loss of blood supply to that eye.

This can be caused by a number of things. One is due to the plaque buildup in the neck arteries. Small pieces of these can travel up to the eye and temporarily block blood flow. This is termed amaurosis fugax. For this, it is recommended you see your primary care doctor so they can order an ultrasound of your neck arteries and possibly start you on a blood thinner. They would also check some basic blood work.

Another cause could be vascular anomoly in the tissue in your eyes. Depending on positioning (such as lying a certain way in bed), you can compress the blood supply to the eye. Your ophthalmologist will be evaluating for that as well as any thing in the eye that may cause transient loss of vision, such as intermittent closed angle glaucoma.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon