Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I got a floater in my left eye couple of years ago, I checked

I got a floater in my left eye couple of years ago, I checked with the doctor, being told that I will stop noticing it soon, but I still see it quite annoyingly. What can I do?

Recently, I got some kind of yellowish small patch which is getting quite close to my cornea and irritates my vision in the right eye especially in the morning.

Eye drops do not completely help, but make it a bit less irritating.
Many years ago, I had allergy condition and I had a lot of this staff over my eyes, maybe it is the same staff, but how to clean the eye?

Please help with my options.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Unfortunately, some floaters may stay there for a long time. You have a thick gel in your eyes that over times liquify. Sometimes it clumps together and forms these floaters that you see. As the liquifecation process continues, there is a chance that the floater settle to the bottom of your eye and out of your field of vision.

You may find websites that advocate lasers or surgery for floater, but that is not common practice and can be risky to your vision. It is not recommended.

That yellowish patch is called a pinguecula or pterygium. It is similar to scar tissue in response to dryness and UV damage. If it starts to grow rapidly, then you may have it removed surgically. Minimize its growth by using artificial tears and sun glasses.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time. Smile

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon