Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

What could cause an otherwise normal 11 year old girl to lose

What could cause an otherwise normal 11 year old girl to lose red/green color vision suddenly? She had an MRI and was diagnosed with an arachnoid cyst but I was told it was not related to the vision loss. She has not been seen by an eye doctor yet.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Is your daughter having any vision problems? How was the color blindness diagnosed? Has she had any trauma to the head?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Other than farsightedness she has no other vision problems I am aware of. The colorblindness was diagnosed only by my daughter, who reported to me that she cannot see red anymore (or pink or purple). Those colors now appear to be shades of gray. She has not had any head trauma. The problem is that I am a worried mother and she is out of town with her grandparents and not due to return for 2 weeks. I don't know if I should be highly concerned about this or if she can wait to be seen by an opthamologist until she returns. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful.

Most color blindness are inherited in nature, mean people are born with it. Red/Green color blind is most common in boys (5-8%) and only 0.5% in girls. Most people are not aware of their deficiency until pointed out by others or through school screening.

With aquired color blindness, I would be concerned with problems of the optic nerve (the connection between the eyes and the brain). I would recommend she be evaluated sooner than later with the complaint that she is having -- general ophthalmologist or pediatric ophthalmologist.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile