Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have Graves Disease treated by radioactive iodine in 1996.

I have Grave's Disease treated by radioactive iodine in 1996. Under dr's care. i have protuding bulging eyes 26 / 25. The psat two years I have had pain not quite on the top of the eyball but a little back towards the back of head. I've had a Cat scan and Dr. says he can't see why I'm having pain and I should see a nureologist. This Cat scan was without die. What can a neurologist find that the eye dr didn't?
HiCustomer

I read your question. Are you having any vision changes? Where were your previous exophthalmetry readings? Any eye surgeries? Using any eyedrops?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No surgeries. Eyes water constantly with any air movement - dry at night without the fan. My pressures are within the normal range and my Cat scan showed muscles to the eye were a little enlarged but not by much. I use "wet eyes" when dryness occures. I don't get headaches or migraines. I quit smoking.

Your graves ophthalmopathy can cause pain and headaches. Your proptosis measurements are elevated. There are different causes to dry/wet/irritated eyes in Graves. The proptosis is one. Changes in the tear composition is likely another.

If you haven't seen an ophthalmologist recently, I would recommend you so do. If you can choose, the ones best suited to your needs would be a neuro-ophthalmologist or oculoplastics specialists.

You will need to use artificial tears frequently. If using them more than 4-6 times a day, I would recommend you switch to the non-preservative artificial tears. You may also consider orbital decompression surgery to reduce the proptosis. This is controversial since you are not having any optic nerve involvement, but some surgeons can do it for the proptosis alone.

If your ophthalmologist does not believe your headaches are due to your eyes, then it may be prudent to be evaluated by a neurologist.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile