Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question. What problems are you currently having with your eyes? Was this discovered on routine exam? Do you wear glasses? Age?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

rountine eye test as i felt like i had somthing in my eye

told i had dry eye and needed weak glasses 4 short sighted then rang back told to go back as might think he saw a dislocated disc im 36

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
I am unclear as to the term "dislocated disc".

Your optic nerve can be seen in the back of your eyes. In people who are very near sighted, their optic nerve or optic disc can have an abnormal appearance. In this condition, the abnormal appearance is of no concern. Vision is not usually affected.

You can ask you optometrist or ophthalmologist if it was the optic disc he was concerned with.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was the optic disc he was concerned with
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

So, if you are very near sighted, your optic nerve can be have abnormal appearance, so called tilted optic nerves. The appearance usually does not adversely affect your vision. It can, however, make it difficult to distinguish it from glaucoma.

I suspecte he wants you to return to perform baseline testing for possible glaucoma (pictures, visual fields, eye pressures).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
im not very short sighted though only very slightly he sent me away saying all was fine and that i just had dry eye then wrote to me sayin he wants me back 4 a second opin and said nothing 2 worry about at all well i am so i got my doc 2 ring him and see why he wanted me bk and he told her he thinks he may have seen a dislocated disc thats all well i dont no wot that means and if its bad
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
It is likely your disc are suspicious for glaucoma. You are young for glaucoma, but it can be seen in young people. The other testing helps gauges the severity.

I recommend you call the office directly and ask for the diagnosis. "Dislocated disc" is not a familiar term to me. If he is unwilling to talk to you or does not elaborate on his diagnose, I would recommend a second opinion.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thankyou i am going for a second opinion tomorrow i just dident no what it meant and will worry all night
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome. Since you are not having any problems, I wouldn't worry too much.

Remember to press the green accept button.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is this going to cost me 8 pounds no other charge will come of my card will it and thankyou again
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if you click ONE of the answers, it will only charge your ONCE.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i will do that im still not very clear as u dont no what he means but i dont think he does or he wouldent have sent me awy saying all is well then change his mind but i shel just wait till the morning thanks anyway
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
From what you've told me, I still suspect tilted optic nerves from nearsightedness or possible early glaucoma. Both of those condition or not serious, but would need confirmation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank u u have made me feel alot less worried whet is tilted optic nervre
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.