Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

eyes) for around four weeks she is 39 years..eyesight..full eye test

My partner has been suffering with light flashing in her peripheral vision ( both eyes) for around four weeks she is 39 years old and has no health problems. her eyesight is fine generally , she works in graphics and fine art without wearing glasses. she has been for a full eye test at boots opticians who said they could find nothing wrong. Any idea's what this could be. She has also had floaters although not to many and has been through a very stressfull period with devorce from her previous partner, moving house and getting burgled. she does suffer migranes but not to regular.
She needs a break and some help
Thanks
Paul
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
<p>This is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment which in most cases is uneventful. This is an ageing change. The jelly in the posterior part of the eye gets liquified and shrinks. As it shrinks, it detaches from the retina, and causes flashes of light. As I said, this is usually uneventful but in some cases it might cause a retinal tear which could cause retinal detachment. So, anyone with these symptoms should get a dilated fundus examination by an ophthalmologist to ensure that everything is fine.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have read as much but its mostly been associated with people much older than my partner. at 39 years old is this still the most likely and as its in both eyes at the same time over 4 weeks could there be an underlying problem assisting this development.

can stress be counted out along with other related conditions.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
It can occur at 39 years and even much earlier. In myopes, it can occur at a much younger age. It usually does not occur simultaneously in both the eyes but it is possible. I don't think stress is related to it. In any case, dilated fundus examination should be done to ensure that everything is fine . In my opinion it is the most likely thing. Since, she does near work without glasses, she may be a myope. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated