Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

ive had eye problems for over 10 years now. the problen always

i've had eye problems for over 10 years now. the problen always starts in my right eye. it use to be conjunctivitus and was cleared up with eye drops. i also have herpes simplex A1 virus. but i dont have anything near my genitals and im told its just something that may affect my effect my eyes if and when im very run down. so my problem at the moment is this....... my eyes had been getting very dry so i putting in Artelac single dose eye drops to keep them moist. my eyes would be very dry in the mornings when i woke up. this was ok until i cycled into town one day and got dust in my eyes. my right eye became red and very dry. i waited a few weekes to see if it would clear up. it didnt! so i went to my doctor and he checked for any grit or scratching in my eye. he came to the conclusion that it was Alergic Conjuntivitus and he gave me Optanol eye drops to use twice a day and he also gave me Anti-histamines to take. that was over 10 days ago and now both my eyes are very red......
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Thank you for your question.

Do you have any decrease in vision? Recent sore throat, flu, cold? Any else with the same problems? When was the last time the herpes was active?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my vision is fine and i have no other symtoms and there is no one i know or in physical contact with me that suffers from eye problems. the herpes would've active last october. i was given Zorvirax eye ointment and it cleared up after a week. also my eyes weep water / tears if its windy or the slightest irritant comes in contact with my eye.... im really fed up with this continual problem...
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful.

Your current symptoms are likely related to a viral conjunctivitis (inflammation of the clear covering of your eyes). It is common to have it start in one eye, then start in the other eye about 1 week later. It usually last 2-3 weeks and will get better on its own.

I suggest continuing with your current eye drops. In addition, chilled artificial tears can provide some relief and cool compresses.

before this current episode, it sounds like you have a baseline dry eyes. I would recommend frequent artificial tears, 4-6 times a day. You may also consider punctal plugs from your ophthalmologist. Lid scrubs with dilute baby shampoo can help as well.

There are different types of herpes virus, not all of them causes genital lesions. It is common for people to have been infected with HSV (herpes simplex virus) around their eyes and not know it. It causes a problem with it is reactivated during times of stressed and low immunity. It is difficult to guess when the HSV will reactivate. If it reactivates often, then you may need to be on an antiviral pill to prevent the recurrences.

So, your current symptoms appear to be related to a viral conjunctivitis. Chilled artificial tears and cool compresses. You should have a followup visit with your ophthalmologist in 1-2 weeks.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions. Smile

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont understand why my doctor did consider Viral Conjuntivitus and then ruled it out. i remember having V C many times before and there being alot of pus coloured discharge around my eyes in the morning...making my eyelids stick together which was often hard to reopen. also there was ofetn a burning sensation on my eyes with V C. i have neither of these symptoms now. timewise, this all started up nearly 1 month ago... its since i had to go and visit my doctor that my eyes have flared up. so i still feel in limbo as to how this is going to clear up!
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish viral conjunctivitis from allergic conjunctivitis from chronic dry eyes.

It is true that you can get your eyelids sticking together with VC. The diagnosis is made clear with a typical timeline of when it happened, sick contacts or recent respiratory illness.

Allergic conjunctivitis can be more chronic in nature with characteristic itching. If the topical antihistamines do you work, you may ask your doctor for short course of topical steroids.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
those anti histamines havent done anything for me. the odd day i dont take them and my eyes actually get less irritated and weepy. he gave me a hydro cortisone cream aswell but i havent used it as my eyes or eyelids arent that itchy at all
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
I would ask you doctor if a topical steroid eyedrop would be helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had those before and they work well but then you can only take them for so long as its easy to develop a dependancy on them. so im still at at a loss....
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
I understand your frustration. I have seen many patients with multiple episodes of chronic dry eyes and irritation.

Because this has been going on for a while, I first tell patients that it'll take some time to get better. They also need to be diligent on their lid hygiene. The first step is the treat the inflammation now. Usually with steroids. It is true that you can not use them forever. The next steps are to keep your eyes lubricated (artificial tears). Punctal plugs will also keep.

At home, you'll need to get diligent with warm compresses to your eyes and lid scrubs with dilute baby shampoo. This needs to be done twice a day. If your dry eyes are due to dysfunction with the oil glands of your eyelids, oral antibiotics (such as doxycyline) can help.

Further along the the line, you may consider Restasis. This medication is use twice a day.

This requires patience on your part as well as a commitment from your doctor. You may need to find a doctor who is willing to take things step by step with you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. cheers. i'll accept that advice. before we finish..... with the eyelid scrub do i clean the inside of it or just the outside part where my eye lashes come out ?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Using the pads of your fingers, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with your eyes gently closed. Where the eyelashes exits the eyelids. If you have someone to help you, can have them use a q-tip and scrub the bases of the eyelashes for you, which should be more effective.

Please remember to press the green accept button.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon