Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Im 58, the vision in my left eye has noticeably deteriorated

I'm 58, the vision in my left eye has noticeably deteriorated over the last 6 months (for reading etc), but now there is a slight double vision (like a slight shadow when looking at a line for example), also my eyelids seem "sticky" at night on waking upand difficult to open for a few seconds (compared with the other eye which is fine and sharp and eyelids open quickly).. Any ideas? Should I see the doctor?

Thank you for your question. Does your vision deteriorate over the course of the day? What have you tried? Do you wear reading glasses?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do wear reading glasses, and vision does get a bit worse as I get more tired later in the day. But the "double vision" is there from the outset. I quite often have a sort of dull headache too, not actually a pain, but just a dull feeling. This is absent when I first get up in the morning, but usually appears after an hour or two and lasts the day then.

Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful.

Your symptoms are very suggestive of dry eyes. The eyelid sticking together in the morning is due to mucous produced during the night.

I recommend you use artificial tears during the day 4-6 times (any brand at the pharmacy should be OK, try out different ones). Before bedtime, I would also recommend using a lubricating ointment to prevent it from drying out (genteal or lacrilube).

Also, start using warm compresses to your eyelids to soften the oil glands and get them flowing again. After that, use dilute baby shampoo and clean the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers. Do this twice a day.

The double vision can sometimes be related to dry eyes. If your vision clears up with the above changes and you still see double, I would recommend an evaluation. If you haven't had a recent evaluation for cataracts, I would recommend that as well from your local ophthalmologist.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question today. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks very much, funnily enough I was just typing in an additional note that my eyes felt dry, especially in the middle of the night and need eye drops eg optrex to make them feel OK again
You're welcome.