Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I accidentally scratched my right eye with my nails. Nowit

I accidentally scratched my right eye with my nails. Nowit is turning red with burning sensation with tears. What do I do now? I do not really want to go to emergency room just for this.
HiCustomer

How long ago did this happen? Any decrease in vision? What have you used for it? Do you wear contacts?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the incident happened four hours ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Most scratches on the eyeball heal on their own. It will be painful initially with tearing. You need to lubricate the eyes well to allow it to heal. I recommned an eye ointment that you can find in the pharmacy or supermarket (genteal, refresh pm, or lacrilube).

It should heal by later this evening or tomorrow morning. Rarely, an infection can result. If it doesn't heal by the morning, gets redder, more painful, or decrease in visit, then I would recommend you visit with an optometrist or ophthalmologist promptly.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question today. Feel free to ask any additional followup questions. Smile