Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Left eye only flashing light symtom as of yesterday -- almost

Left eye only flashing light symtom as of yesterday -- almost like strobe light flash in L eye only. Eyes examined and checked in June. I am a senior woman 68 y/o.

Thank you for a prompt response.

Lois Carus
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hi Lois,

Thank you for your question. Have you had surgeries in your eyes? How many episodes occurred? Do you see foaters or veil/curtain off to the side?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I have had no surgery to eyes. Episodes with flash happening fairly frequently I had a floater 25 years ago after an accident. This is not the same. Like a reflection of light.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful.

believe you are having a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment). This is when the gel material in your eyes start to liquifies. As it does this, it collapses on itself and pulls away from the walls of the eye. This happens commonly in many people without symptoms. In some people, as this gel material pulls away from the walls of the eyes, it can stimulate the retina and cause these flashes that you are seeing (the strobe light you are mentioning).

It is important that you see your ophthalmologist for a dilated eye exam to check your retina and make sure there is no tear, hole or retinal detachment.

If you notice a sudden showering of floaters or increase flashes like a lightening storm, or a shadow/veil in the periphery, these could be early signs of a retinal detachment for which you need to notify your ophthalmologist promptly.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question today. Feel free to ask any additional followup questions. Smile