Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I am 72 with good vision but wear glasses. today a small black

I am 72 with good vision but wear glasses. today a small black tree shaped spot appeared in my left eye to the left of my focal point about 14 away from center. first it was shaped like a small limb but know it has coalesced into a curved brown spot somewhat darker on the right side. what could it be and can it go away by itself? I have normal or better blood pressure for my age.
There are 2 possibilities. It could be due to a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing process and is usually uneventful in most of the cases. In some cases it may cause a retinal tear which could lead to retinal detachment. The jelly in the back part of the eye gets liquified and shrinks. This causes it to separate from the retina.
The other possibility is vitreous hemorrhage which could also cause these symptoms. For both conditions you should get a dilated fundus examination done by an ophthalmologist.

Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated.