Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My daughter woke up with 1 eye dialated yesterday, went to

My daughter woke up with 1 eye dialated yesterday, went to urgent care and then an ophthalmologist, did various exams and stated looked OK. Other eye was dialated in exam. Exam was at noon, both eyes are still dialated this morning, is this normal.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

It depends on the drops that were used. Some drops last about 4-6 hours while other drops can last 1-2 days. For young children, some of the longer acting ones could have been used.

I would be concerned if she is having any pain and discomfort. Otherwise, give it the weekend to wear off. She may report some blurriness with up close reading because of the drops.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question today. Feel free to ask any additional followup questions. Smile

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My daughter is 21, is the longer acting ones used on someone her age? No pain or discomfort, just a headache , I would guess from stress and lack of sleep.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Not typically, we can on certain circumstances. Still I would give her through the weekend to allow the medicine to wear off. Some people are more sensitive to the dilating drops.

I missed the first part about her waking up with one eye dilated already. What did the ophthalmologist say about that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not much, wants to see her next week, told her to call if she gets a bad head ache, which she is known to get migranes. If she gets one, he said he may want to do an MRI, I am concerned and as one 1 eye dialated seems to be unusual. Wonder if MRI should be done either way. Your thoughts. He mentioned something about a tumor, but she said he did not get into details. Understand, she is working in San Diego, we are in Chicago, she is doing an internship so who knows what questions she asked.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
One dilated pupil is not a common thing, but not always a tumor or aneurysm. There is one condition that is called Adie's Tonic pupil, which is not serious.

In relatively healthy people, an MRI is not always the first step.