Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I splashed a drop of bleach in my eye last night while cleaning.

I splashed a drop of bleach in my eye last night while cleaning. It's a bit sore but I can still see.
I rinsed it with running water. Do I need to do anything more?
HiCustomer
Did it get in one eye or both eyes? How much bleach would you estimate? How long did you rinse it with water?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just one eye. I rinsed at once for about 15 seconds and then again 10 minutes later under the shower for about 2 minutes
Thank you for the additional information. The first step is the rinse your eyes thoroughly. I would recommend you rinse for 15 more minutes continuously to ensure that that all of it is out.

Depending on how much and where the bleach splashed, it can have mild effects or serious effects on your vision. Because I cannot examine you, it is difficult for me to give a recommendation regarding if you need to see a doctor tonight.

So I would recommend you to rinse it out further. Depending out the severity, you may consider being seen by an urgent care tonight or an ophthalmologist in the morning. After the rinsing, continue to use artificial tears and eye ointment for comfort.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask additional followup questions. Smile