Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

crescent shape in my left eye..My vision where the shape is, is dimmed

I've had three random occurrences of this problem. Shortly ago, I noticed a crescent shape in my left eye, towards the inside, that vibrates similar to convection waves coming off a hot road in the distance - sometimes the shape is bright white. My vision where the shape is, is dimmed. Then the left eye became normal and the right eye started doing the same thing - slightly different shape - towards the outside of the eye - then went away. This lasted about 5 minutes. No other symptoms other than maybe a very mild headache. I'm a 56 yr old male in pretty good shape - kind of a health nut. This occurred while sitting watching TV. The other occasions I was doing yard work one time and washing dishes the other. It has only happened at home - not at work - spaced about 2 weeks apart or so. Anything to worry about?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hi Sam,
What other medical problems do you have? Have you had any eye surgery?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't really have any other problems. Had a minor bleeding ulcer around February. Doing good now. Took Nexium for the ulcer. Not really on any medication at the moment.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like an ocular migraine where you have changes in your vision but without the typical migraine headache. These are usually not serious and typically do not need treatment.

There is another entity where the gel material in your eye starts to detach was the wall of your eyes (a normal aging process). During this time, it can also pull on the retina causing flickering of lights, similar to the crescent that you are seeing.

I would recommend you see your ophthalmologist to check for this vitreous detachment and to make sure that there are not tears or holes. If your ophthalmologist does not find any problems, then there is no need to worry.

Remember to press the accept questions. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile