Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I cant see out of my right eye. All I see is blood. I went

I can't see out of my right eye. All I see is blood. I went to the Dr and they sent me to an eye doctor, who in turn sent me to the doctor's??? I can't see and the doctor said it is a broken blood vessel in the rear of the eye. Will this go away?? Or do I need to do something else???
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Do you have diabetes? When did you notice the blood? When is your next appointment with the ophthalmologist?

Dr. JMK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure, I am on no meds at all. I woke up last Wednesday 7/15 with blood half way up blocking my sight. I went to the doctor's on Thursday and the Ophthalmologist on this past Wednesday. I do not have a follow up visit because he sent me back to the doctor???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well they took the money do you have an answer for me??
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Bleeding inside the eyes is understandably very upsetting and have had many patients come with sudden bleeding. Let me try to detail what you can expect to happen in the next few days to weeks.

First, where did the blood come from? Complications from diabetes is the most common. Blood press that is really high can cause bleeding as well.

A third entity, which I think is happening with you is called a hemorrhagic posterior vitreous detachment. Let me explain. You have a thick gel material within your eye. As you age, the gel material becomes watery (like jello left outside). The gel pulls away from the walls of the eyeball and sometimes can pull a blood vessel with it, causing the blood.

The blood will go away. It is not the problem. What we need to make sure is that the retina behind all the blood is still OK. If the bleeding is mild, then your ophthalmologist is able to look with a bright light and confirm that the retina is attached and doing OK. If he cannot see, then he can do an ultrasound of the eyeball to check for a retinal detachment.

The key for you is that you need frequent followup. You are recommended to sleep with you head in a 45 degree position to allow the blood to settle to the bottom of the eye. You should have a repeat appointment in about 1 week. (A retina surgeon preferably or general ophthalmologist).

If the blood never clears, then we could consider surgery to remove it then look at the retina at the time of surgery. Usually we think about this 4-6 weeks after the initial bleeding.

So, it is important for you to talk to the ophthalmologist to find out who you need to see. My recommendation is a retina surgeon.

I'm happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Dr. JMK
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I have working on your response since I got your last email. I wanted to make it as thorough as possible for you.

Again, you are welcome to ask other questions or if you need clarification. I'm currently online for the next 2 to 3 hours.

Dr. JMK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I really don't have any other questions except will this go away soon?? I am 63 and do not have insurance and I can't afford to go back and forth to an eye specialist.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Eventually, the blood should clear on its own. If some peoples, it never clears. In that case, you'll need to have surgery to remove the blood.

I understand the difficulties with insurance. I want to stress the importance of seeing an ophthalmologist frequently to ensure that the eye is healing the way it should.

What county and state do you live in? There may be some possibilities for county/charity care in certain counties. I believe it would be a gamble if you do not have an ophthalmologist track the progress of your healing.

Dr. JMK
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Eventually, the blood should clear on its own. In some people, it never clears. In that case, you'll need to have surgery to remove the blood.

Dr. JMK
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in Palm Coast Florida and we don't have much help here.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
I see that you are in between Jacksonville and Orlando. I am not aware of the local programs near where you are. You can contact your local health department, and see what programs are available.

Telephone:
(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
301 South Lemon Street
Bunnell, FL 32110

I would also recommend that you contact the ophthalmologist that you saw before. Be frank with him about your financial situation. I am sure that this issue of un-insured patients come up often, unfortunately. He should be able to refer you to a suitable provider. In Texas, there are charitable programs that will fund you for a limited amount of time (such as the Lions Club, or Knights Templar Eye Foundation)

http://www.knightstemplar.org/ktef/

You may also consider setting up a payment system with that office, but at a significantly reduced rate. Our previous office gave a 40% cash discount.

Dr. JMK