Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have told several doctors I have demodex mites. It could

Customer Question

I have told several doctors I have demodex mites. It could be the acanthamoeba on the skin and in the eyes. One of which was an Opthamoologist who didn't "see" anything. What do I do to get them off?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Was it the ophthalmologist who told you have demodex mites? Where do you have them on your body?

Also, do you currently have an acanthamoeba infection? If so, where is it on your eye?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I researched it myself, but I don't know. No doctor, as I have said, including dermatologist will admit I have anything. They are on my temples, jaw, nose, blowing my nose all the time, but less, and I pull these cysytic things out of my eyes and lashes. I have had a cornea tear in 2005, the "mites" as i call them started soon after.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Demodex and acanthomoeba are two different things. I'll go over them briefly.

Demodex is a mite that lives in our hair follicles and oil glands. They are found in normal people. In older patients and patients with weakened immune systems, the demodex can overgrow and cause sleeves to be apparent around the base of eyelashes. These mites are microscopic and normally do not cause a problem.

Acanthomoeba on the other hand is a protozoa that is found in untreated water sources. This organism is found in a rare corneal infection, commonly seen in freshwater and the soil. We typically see this type of infection in contact lens users who have used tap water to clean their lenses or have gone swimming in them. It is an extremely difficult infection to treat.

From your description, you seem to have demodex and not acanthamoeba. It is difficult to see the mite without the use of the microscrope, but easier to see the effects of them such as those cystic things you are pulling.

There are treatment of the demodex available, but first you have to confirm that is what it is. I would recommend consultation with an ophthalmologist or dermatologist so that can confirm it and discuss treatment options then.

Best wishes,
Dr. JMK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wrong Bucko. I told you I have trouble finding a doctor who will test it in any way. I have been mocked and almost thrown out for bringing up the matter which they all say is in the mind. I have even shown them the black flagella-type mange taped to paper. Don't you have a better idea?