Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

I just had my eyes tested and there done the puffer test, why

I just had my eyes tested and there done the puffer test, why they squirt something in you eye, well the optician said she would write to my doctor.

HelloCustomer

The drops they put in your eyes are probably dilating drops. These are used to open up the pupil so that the doctor could get a better look inside your eyes -- to make sure that everything was healthy. If we look in without dilating the eyes, we are restricted to view only about 30% of your eyes -- we would miss the rest.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

But why have i got to go and see my own Doctor, is it the start of Glaumonco

The optician cannot make the diagnosis of glaucoma alone based on just the eye pressure. High pressure is just one risk factor for developing glaucoma. Other risk factors include family history, appearance of the optic nerve, visual fields testing, corneal thickness. All of these have to be taken into consideration before the diagnosis can be made. Some people with high pressures do not have glaucoma. Some people with normal pressures do have glaucoma. This can only be evaluated by an ophthalmologist.