Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have a new eyeglass prescription. My old prescription is

I have a new eyeglass prescription. My old prescription is OD +2.25/OS +2.00. My new prescription is +2.75 for both eyes. My question is: I am very comfortable with my old glasses. I see fine with them all the time. My doctor says I need to get new glasses. Why do I need to get new glasses when I have no trouble with the ones I have?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
   Kindly give some more information regarding your question-
- what is your age and gender?
- is the prescription for reading glasses?
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 46 years old. The prescription is for distance. I have been wearing distance glasses for 6 years. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
There is a relative difference when a patient is reading the vision chart in the Eye doctor's clinic and when one is looking at a distance in general. Also, when the prescription for eye glasses is being determined, it is done for individual eyes. With both the eyes open, one can always see better than with individual eye.
The difference in your previous prescription and the new one is 0.5 diopter in the right eye and 0.75 diopter in the left eye. This difference is not much as far as the right eye is concerned. So, when you are looking with both the eyes open, you are comfortable. This prescription is according to the checking of the vision at 6 meters (the required distance of checking), with individual eye corrected at one time. So, ideally you should wear the new prescription because that is correct for the required 6 meters. You will be more comfortable. But as I said there is a minor difference specially in the right eye, so if you do not want absolutely to change glasses then you can continue with the old ones also
Regards
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)