Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP
I never want to say never, but I doubt it. Xibrom in an antiflammatory drop. It is used to help with the postop inflammation after surgery; but it is also used for other causes of inflammation as well (like in your case).
The retinal swelling from high blood pressure usually takes longer than 3 days to resolve. What I think happened is that the swelling fluctuates (like ankle swelling). Some days it is better than others. My guess is that the swelling never completely cleared but is just improved some, and now it is more swollen again. This fluctuation may continue until the swelling is resolved (which may take several weeks to months). Also, the blood pressure may fluctuate and cause your vision to fluctuate as well.
Hope this helps and thank you.
First of all, there are 2 types of injection. One is for macular degeneration (which you read about); and there is some data to suggest that it not only stops the bleeding but indeed does help some with vision. The second is an injection of steroids that is to treat swelling in the macula (such as you have). It is actually a relatively common treatment.
In terms of the condition of your eye, swelling of the retina does fluctuate. If the swelling continues to improve, we will hold off on the injection. But if it plateaus or worsens, we go ahead with the injection. Medicine is an art, and we can't predict; so we only go with what we see. If she saw that your fluid was not improved, she would have recommended the injection. Once she saw that it was improving, she changed her mind.
The fluid that she is referring to is not in your eye, but inside your retina. It is swelling inside the tissue itself. The timeframe with no treatment is usually several months. However, keep in mind that there is a percentage of people in which the swelling does not resolve. Then we would have to do something more (i.e. injection).
Let me clarify. When I see someone with swelling in the macula, I give them an option: do an injection or wait. If we wait, I usually check them every month or so. If by 3 months, the swelling is not better or worse, I will recommend an injection. If the swelling is getting better, I wait a little longer. If by 6 months, the swelling is better, but not gone, I would go ahead and recommend an injection anyway.
If the injections don't help, we even do a laser treatment on top.
It is optional initially because there is some percentage of patients who improve with no treatments. Just that treatment may speed up the improvement. But at some point, if there is no improvement, I don't consider it an option.
Since the injection is into the eye, there are risks of more bleeding, infection, etc. So these have to be weighed against the benefit.
That is why initially for me, it is option. As the patient, you have to decide whether the faster improvement with the injection is worth the risk. After 3-6 months of no improvement or worsening, it no longer is an option for me, as the physician.