Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I have a pinkeye since last Friday. My doctor prescribed me

I have a pinkeye since last Friday. My doctor prescribed me Ofloxacin 0.3% solution which I am taking since Friday evening. My both eyes are still somewhat pink with the red veins popped out on the whites of the eyes. No area that is completely red or otherwise covered. I have a crusted discharge in the morning, but it diminished a lot since Friday. The eye, on of them, it not itchy, but I feel like I have some sand in it. My question is whether I am still contagious to my family and co-workers. I have isolated myself in our master bedroom since Friday, so I had no contact with my 3 year old. Can I return to my family and work and how long will I remain contagious?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

If you truly had pinkeye (viral), you are contageous for 7 days. But you are only contageous through your tears. So if you rub your eyes, you need to wash your hands prior to touching anyone. The pinkeye is caused by the same viruses that cause the common cold. Technically, you are much less contageous than someone with a cold who is sneezing or coughing on everything. You are only contageous through your tears. I usually don't make people stay off work unless they work with elderly, sick, or babies. However, understand that there is a social stigma with pinkeye. Most people don't think twice about a coworker coming to work with a cough or sneezing; but they shun you like a vampire if your eye is red.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In other words, you would advise against my contact with my 3 year old, meanwhile, you think I can come to work if I do not rub my eyes?
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

You can play with your 3-year old. Just make sure that you don't rub your eyes and do wash your hands. Make sure that the baby doesn't get in your face.

I would allow you back to work. But you have to follow your employers wishes and guidelines on that.