Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

eye lid..caused by an eye lash follicle and that it will not clear

hello. I have a four year old girl who has constant swelling of the eye lid. I have been told it is caused by an eye lash follicle and that it will not clear untill she has it removed when she is older.Do you have any more imfo on this condition? many thanks mrs Unwin
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Is the swelling localized to one area? Or does it involve the entire lid? How often does it come? How is it treated when it is there?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hello. its the entire lid, it is there constant and i am told by our gp there is no cure untill she is older as the procedure to remove the eye lash is too traumatic for a youngster.it also feels quite hard to the touch, it must be uncomfortable for her. hope this is enough, many thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

One eyelash follicle being stopped up shouldn't cause the entire lid to swell up. Usually, it is just in the area around that follicle (like a stye). It sounds like she has a chalazion, which is like a pimple on the lid. Sometimes, it resolves with antibiotics. A lot of times, I have removed these in children and infants. We just do under anesthesia. They are not as bothered as adults are by these surgeries. You should have her seen by an ophthalmologist.