Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

mt husband has a thin white line around the edge of his iris

mt husband has a thin white line around the edge of his iris - can you please give me an answer as I know the iris gives a great deal of information. His age is 77
Are you referring to the white line around the cornea (the black portion of our eye)? If yes, then the white line is called Arcus Sinelis. This is a normal white band which is formed with age. It's caused by fat (lipid) deposits deep in the edge of the cornea. Arcus senilis doesn't affect vision, nor does it require treatment.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer - perhaps I was wrongly describing this - the thin white line is on the outer edge of the colour part of the eye [in his case blue] I said iris which is the central spot? Sorry for mis-information.
The central spot is the pupil. The blue part is the iris. I am sending you a link of photographs of arcus sinellis. Do let me know if you are talking of the same thing

In these patients the color of the iris is not blue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for the answer, it is just what I wanted - age related and no problem,Customer
You are most welcome