Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I have had glauroma about 6 years, well controlled; pressure

I have had glauroma about 6 years, well controlled; pressure about 14 in each eye. Have had bilat cataracts, and implants done; also laser openeing of the capvules etc. problem is increasing vision loss due to haze, or glare; worsening now by the month. Vision in a darkend room is about 20/50, but MUCH less in daylight, or overhead store lighting. No pain, headaches, or other symptoms. General health...good. (for an old guy) I have been to three top opththalmogists here (Phoenix) one knows what is causing this. My glaucoma specialist (Dr. Spurney) says the cornea, lenses, anterior chambers and vitreos in both eyes are all clear. A retinal specialist says there is no retinal membrane over the macula, etc. SO WHAT DO I DO NOW?

I am glad that overall the structure of your eyes are OK. However, vision as we measure it on the Snellen chart is only one part of overall vision. There are corneal aberrations and contrast sensitivity that we do not measure routinely that can be affected.

Higher degree aberrations of the cornea are not something that you can see or treat easily. For instance, when some people have LASIK, their Snellen acuity is measured at 20/20, but they complain of poor vision. Some of that (when we measure on the wavefront scan) is caused by higher order aberrations of the cornea.

The same goes for contrast sensitivity. Both contrast and aberrations are also products of aging. Dry eyes can also cause corneal aberrations. Early macular degeneration can also cause contrast problems. Even though the Retinal specialist says that you do not have any membrane or edema, it doesn't mean you don't have a very early stage of degeneration that can manifest as contrast problems or color problems.

You put all that on top of glaucoma and that can complicate matters. I would treat the corneas for dryness with artificial tears. I would wear glasses with anti-reflective coating. I would also take vitamins (like Ocuvite) to help the macula as well.

Hope this helps and thank you.