Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hi I have a small bump on my upper eyelid - on the lash line.

Hi I have a small bump on my upper eyelid - on the lash line. It is white in colour and quite small. I have had it for a long time (at least a year) but am worried about it. what is it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

I'm currently answering your question. If you stay online, I'll have your response shortly.

Dr. Khu
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thank you. please let me know if you need more information
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like a chalazion or stye (more inflamed). These are caused by blocked oil glands within your eyelids. They can be painful, but not always. They can also cause a secondary infection that spreads to the whole eyelid. This would need antibiotics.

If mild, then warm compress (damp towel in microwave fro 30 seconds) can help it self-drain. Make sure the towel is not hot.

Since you've had it for a year, it is likely a chalazion that would be excision by an ophthalmologist. Leaving it alone should not cause a problem however, unless it gets inflamed and red. In that case, you can benefit from the warm compresses, then possibly antiobiotic ointment or pills.

I hope this answers your questions.

Dr. Khu