Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

what medication should be administered following angioplasty

what medication should be administered following angioplasty to reduce risk of dislodged plaque which may be the cause of reduction of visual field after angioplasty??
   Kindly give some more information regarding your question-
- what is the problem exactly in your eye?
- have you been evaluated by an Ophthalmologist?
- What is your age and gender?
- when was the angioplasty done and when did you have problem in the eye?
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1) Difficulty in seeing all the words in a five or six word sentence.
I have to turn my head to read the complete sentence.
Similarly, have to turn my head ( to the right) to focus on a person or object in front of me.
2No- only by a heart specialist.
3)Age 85, Female
4)July /03/09
Thanks for the information. This problem in viewing the whole sentence is present since when? Is it present in both the eyes?
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The vision problem started suddenly accompanied by a severe pain over the left frontal forehead area at about 8.30 on July 10/09.
It is present in both eyes.
The pain has reduced considerably now.
Considering your symptoms of decrease in visual fields after angioplasty, the possibilities in your case are -
- Aniterior ischemic optic neuropathy - This is ischemic episode of the optic nerve (main nerve of the eye). The usually symptoms are profound decrease in vision and restriction of visual field. One of the risk factors is sudden variation in blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac ailment etc.
- Glaucoma - You might be having glaucoma or increase in pressure of the eyes previously (which might have gone undetected). This might have worsened over time and is more evident now.
- Retinal vein occlusion - In cases of hypertension or cardiac ailment, there can be blockage of one of the blood vessels of the retina in the eye.
You need to be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist in detail to rule out the above possibilities. The treatment of all the above conditions is different and they need to be diagnosed as soon as possible.
Regards
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate your list of possibilities - but my question requested advice on medication to administer now, in order to prevent further damage.
This was not answered to my satisfaction.
I did however, agree to pay for the answer offered.
I shall try other sources for a definite answer.
Thank You
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the answer to the specific question is not provided, the expert should acknowledge this fact in his answer, despite the referral to another specialist for further consultation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Accept -Please note comment re answer.
Given your situation your diagnosis is not confirmed. The fact that I am not able to examine you first hand, handicaps me further. The experts at just answer can give opinion only based on the information provided by the customer.
So, considering I am just able to list possibilities (without able to examine you), it is difficult to start you on any medicine. Moreover, medicines for glaucoma, retinal vein occlusion, optic neuropathy are not available over the counter. For glaucoma you need to instill eye drops with or without oral medicines depending on the pressure readings. For retinal vein occlusion or optic neuropathy further investigations will be required and depending on the condition oral medicines will need to be started.
Given the severity of your symptoms I feel you definitely need an early Ophthalmology consultation.
Regards

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using this service. I want to add a few things that may answer your question also. I agree with Dr. PG's list of differential. However, since you stated that your symptoms are in both eyes, it leads me to think that you may have had a small stroke to the occipital lobe (this would cause you to lose peripheral vision in both eyes simultaneously) rather than an isolated problem to a single eye. This can only be confirmed with a visual field test and a CT. I agree with Dr. PG that you need to be seen by an ophthalmologist.

As to your original question, the thromboembolic risk with angioplasty is rare (much more rare than bleeding complications). Therefore thromboembolic medications are usually not given immediately after the procedure because bleeding is much more likely than a clot traveling up the vessels. After the immediate postop when the bleeding has stopped, patients are usually restarted on aspirin or other antiplatelet regimen.

Hope this helps some more and thank you.

Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified in ophthalmology
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please provide a link for easy attachment to e-mail.
Thank You.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the link does not work. I will work it out.
Thank You

I'm sorry. I've tried it twice and it worked both times.