Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

My 5yo daughter recently said she was seeing colored spots

My 5yo daughter recently said she was seeing colored spots and shapes even when her eyes are closed. The spots and shapes move and she tends to see them when looking at a wall or the ceiling. She also reports to seeing gold patterns and sqiggly lines in her vision. her vision seems fine in that she is reading and writing well. I am taking her to an opthalmologist on 27th July. Is there a visual condition related to the symptoms I have described?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

How long do these episodes of seeing shapes and squiggly lines last? Is she able to tell you? How is her health otherwise?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My daughter says she has been seeing these shapes for well over a year and they are always in her visual field. Her health is fine otherwise.

This was only brought to my attention last week when she asked me if I could see colored shapes when I had my eyes closed or open. I told her I didn't see colored shapes or dots or gold squiggly lines.

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like she may either be experiencing floaters or have episodes of ocular migraines. Floaters derive from the gel in your eye that breaks up and float around. Most of the time they are caused from aging, but not always (being nearsighted and trauma can both cause these at an earlier age). I have seen shapes floating around since age 8. Ocular migraines are caused by the same etiology as migraine headaches. People would see flashing lights or lightning in their peripheral visual field. Some even lose part of their vision temporarily. This may or may not be followed by headache. Migraine episodes typically last 15-20 minutes.

But it is very wise of you to have her eyes checked out to make sure the nerve and retinas are OK.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can floaters be seen as colored shapes and spots rather than just black shapes and spots? I don't think it sounds like ocular migraine, because she describes it as something which is constantly there not episodic.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Yes they can. It depends on the background that you see them in. If the color of the background is not black, the floaters may have different colors.