Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I am a 52 year old male. I have been extremely tired of late

I am a 52 year old male. I have been extremely tired of late and noticed today that both pupils are extremely contracted. I do not smoke, drink or use drugs. What could be causing my pupils to be that way.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

do you wear or need to wear glasses? when you check the pupils, have you looked in a dimly lit room? have you had any eye infections or inflammatory conditions? are you light sensitive?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I wear glasses and have been fitted for hard contacts to correct a problem with one eye that has a weakend cornea and allows too much light in and will not focus properly or can be corrected with changing the lens perscription in my glasses. I have a hard time with the discomfort of the contacts and have chosen not to wear them but still rely on my glasses with probably an ineffective prescription. I also have suffered from a chronic case of bliferitus? that I have fought all of my life and have persistant crusting of the eye lids. I am also a photographer whom looks at the computer for long durations editing images. I have looked at my pupils in a dimly lit room and they are still contracted. My wife even noticed how parcular they looked today. Does this information help?

Hello there

there are several reasons for people having smaller pupils than usual. One is a normal aging phenomenon. Second is a pupil that has scarred down on to the lens, and this can happen in cases of chronic anterior chamber inflammation, but is not common with blepharitis. Third is a condition known as pseudoexfoliation syndrome. There are a couple of other things. You also should know that the pupil shrinks as you focus up on something close (accomodation) so theoretically, if you are doing near work all day, your pupil can become small. Of course, given the limiations of this forum, I wont be able to sort this out, but rest assurred most causes are benign and have no consequences. You should get the eyes examined as some things such as pseudoexfoliation syndrome can be associated with glaucoma or other conditions. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens