Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

husband has styne in eye, alot of puffiness around his eye,

husband has styne in eye, alot of puffiness around his eye, is there anything we can do to bring swelling down and relieve the pain, husband is diabetic type II fyi
HiCustomer

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's stye. The medical term for this is chalazion. I recommend the following treatment to improve on the symptoms:

1. Hot compresses - people tend to use a towel with hot water; however, this tends to lose the heat quickly and in turn lose its effectiveness. Try placing a potato in the microwave for about 45 seconds to a 1 minute. Wrap the potato in a paper towel, touch your skin to make sure it isn't too hot and place over the closed eye and massage for 10 minutes. The potato can get quite hot so be careful not to burn the skin. Do this at least 4 to 5 times per day. Eventually, this will lead to drainage of the chalazion and improvement of the symptoms.

2. Antibiotic ointment - I recommend bacitracin, erythromycin or neopolydex ointment place inside the eye 3 to 4 times per day. These typically require a prescription so you may need to contact your primary doctor or ophthalmologist to obtain it.

3. Ibuprofen between 400 and 800 mg 3 to 4 times per day. This will offer pain relief along with having an anti-inflammatory effect.

Chalazia can progress to become a pre-septal cellulitis (an infection of the entire lid) especially in diabetics. This then requires antibiotic medication by mouth for resolution. If there is no improvement and the infection progresses then you must visit an eye doctor or the ER tommorow to treat appropiately and avoid complications.

I hope this is helpful and that your husband feels better soon...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB