Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

the whites of my eyeballs are turning green

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

I am currently answering your question. If you can stay online, I'll have a response for you shortly.

Dr. Khu
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
I'm glad you accepted, but haven't finished your answer yet.

Can you provide some more information? When did this occur? Was it a different color prior to turning green? Does it hurt?

Dr. Khu
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is my friend who has been ill lately. Recently she has had trouble passing fecal matter. It even backed up into her stomach. About three hours ago she noticed the whites of her eyes had turned green. She said there is no pain.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Initially I was thinking it was a subconjunctival hemorrhage (not serious), that has changed color. Similar to a bruise that changes color.

With the history of bowel problems, I'm more concerned that it's related to that. Patient who are jaundice tend to have yellow skin and/or eyes (or possibly green in coloration).

Jaundice is caused by an elevation of bilirubin. Normally, most of the bilirubin is excreted by the liver into the bowels. If the clearance pathway is blocked, the levels of bilirubin in the blood can be increased.

If your friend is jaundiced, she may be having problems with her liver and associated structures. If this is new, then she needs to consult with a doctor immediately.

If her stomach condition and liver condition is being taken care of, you may need to pass on the change in eye color to her doctor. Treatment for the change in color is controlling th underlying problem (gastrointestinal problems).

I wish your friend well. If there are other questions, I'll be happy to answer those for you.

Sincerely,
Dr. Khu