Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My husband suffered a haemmorage at the back of his left eye

My husband suffered a haemmorage at the back of his left eye 3months ago and has since been seen on a regular basis by eye specialists at our local hospital.When he visited for a check- up today he was told that the retina has become detached and he is to have an operation to re- attach it tomorrow morning.
Would the haemmorage have caused this or would this be a separate issue?
He had a fluorescent injection initially which established that he had suffered a haemmorage along with a series of blood tests, he also had a chest xray to establish if there was any other cause that could have caused the haemmorage. Fortunately the xray results proved negative. However now that this has happened we are curious to know what may have caused it
Thanking you
Marianne and Leonard Pratt
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Hello Marianne and Leonard,

I can understand how difficult it must be, especially with the decision to operate in a day.

The causes of a retina detachment can be many. Likely, the hemorrhage was a manifestation of the underlying cause.

What was diagnosed 3 months ago during the initial hemorrhage? The most common that we see are bleeding due to diabeties. If not due to diabeties, then due to hemorrhagic PVD.

Let me explain, a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment is when the gel within your eyes liquifies, collapses on itself and start to pull away from the the walls of the eye. This is a normal process and not bothersome to most people. Sometimes, the gel is firmly attached to the different parts of the wall of the eye (blood vessels, retina). If this is the case, when it pulls away, it can cause bleeding, or retinal tears or holes.

A retinal tear or hole puts you at risk for a retinal detachment. If caught early enough, it can be lasered to strengthened (like spot-welding) the surrounding retina. There are cases where tears and holes are missed, despite having a good and thorough exam.

Without knowing more about the details, it's diffcult to get be specific, but I suspect it may be one of those 2.

Tumors of the eyes can also causing bleeding. I suspect that is why they did the blood work and chest Xray. Tumors of the eye can be easily seen though. I suspect the bleeding was bad enough, that they couldn't see anything but blood.

I wish you husband well. The surgery can be pretty involving and after the surgery, the doctor may ask you to be in certain positions (face down, right side...) if there is gas in the eye to help the retina stay attached. This can vary from 2 weeks to 6 weeks.

Dr. Khu
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Regarding the sucess of surgery, it depends on how extensive the retinal detachment is. If the reading vision is not yet affected, then the vision after the surgery should be the same (after weeks of healing). He may have worsening of a cataract that will need to be removed.

If the vision is poor before the surgery, the visual improvement is variable, but surgery should help to some degree.