Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hi, in one of my eyes, I developed overnight a swollen area

Customer Question

Hi, in one of my eyes, I developed overnight a swollen area about the size of a dime that is somewhat painful and itchy. I flew to France the night before it developed, and my eye was bothering me on the flight, and when I awoke the next morning, there was this specific swelling under the one eye. We went to an othamologist (unfortunately she only spoke French, which we do not understand) yesterday and she diagnosed conjunctivitus. I awoke this morning, and it seems to be getting worse, with the undereye area inflammation moving further down, and I can feel it pushing against my eye. Any suggestions on what this is?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Where is the inflammation specifically. Is it on the whites of the eyes, the eyelid, cheek? Did you have any trauma to that area? Age, past medical history and eye history? Change in vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 45 year old female with no previous eye problems/history and do not wear contacts or glasses. The specific location is under my eye in the eye socket area - it was toward the outer socket area and now seems to be moving in toward the inside eye corner. It feels like a fluid filled pocket. There was no eye trauma, but I did feel some discomfort in the outer lower lid area prior to the inflamation.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's sounds like you may have an area of localized chemosis, or swelling of the clear area over the whites of your eyes.

Infection can cause it, but it tends to be more diffuse rather more localized like you've described. I have one patient who woke up with severe swelling in the outside corner of the eye. It look rather impressive, without redness and not apparent cause, but went away on its own.

I'd recommend cool soaks and not to sleep on that side.

Is there significant pain now, redness? Did the french doctor give you any treatment?

Dr. Khu