Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

Hi, When I woke up, the white of my eye is entirely red.

When I woke up, the white of my eye is entirely red. A long time ago, I had a broken blood vessel in my eye, which resulted in the same symptoms. I did nothing, and it went away in a few weeks.

Initially, there was pain in my eye; however, I took an advil and it is gone. I put alaway in my eye and when I blotted my eye, there was a little pink on the tissue, which scared me. I live alone, and am a little scared as it is 4 am, and things tend to be worse at night.

I have no blurred vision, double vision, etc. and can see fine out of the affected eye.

Thank you for you response.

Jan Larkins
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Dear Jan,
        What you are describing is a subconjunctival hemorrhage. The blood vessels of the white part of the eye (conjunctiva) are very fragile and can bleed. The commonest cause is sudden increase in blood pressure, minor trauma, excessive rubbing of eye, bleeding disorders. Usually this hemorrhage clears on its own and does not affect the vision. Since you have had a similar episode again, I would advise you to consult your doctor for getting detailed investigation to rule out the above causes. A subconjunctival bleed is harmless and will clear slowly over the next few days. But if you have a similar bleed in other body parts like brain etc, due to any of the above causes, then that can lead to severe symptoms.
Regards