Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

MY HUSBAND WAS IN THE HOSPITAL TWO WEEKS AGO WITH WHAT THEY

MY HUSBAND WAS IN THE HOSPITAL TWO WEEKS AGO WITH WHAT THEY DETERMINED TO BE A MINI STROKE.. i HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE.. HE WOKE U AND EVERYTHING WAS DOUBLE. HIS RIGHT EYE WOULD NOT TRACK TO THE LEFT, THIS ONLY LASTED 24 HRS AND HAS STEADLY IMPROVED,HOWEVER THE LOWER PART OF HIS VISION IS STILL DOUBLED. i READ ABOUT NAION AND i NEED ANSWERS.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
   Kindly give some more information regarding your question-
- when your husband looks down, he sees double?
- is the doubling more when he sees down right or down left?
- what is his age?
- any other residual symptoms?
- what was the cause of the ministroke -high blood pressure?
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He says it is only when he looks down, he is 55.his bloodpressure runs ok. there are no other symptoms. the next day however , the back of his neck hurt... He has what the Dr. deems sinus infection all the time.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
According to the symptoms you are describing it seems that his nerve supplying the eye muscles got affected in the TIA (transient ischemic attack). The inferior rectus muscle which pulls the eye down has been affected in the right eye. The occulomotor nerve supplies most of the muscles of the eye. The TIA might have affected the nerve. There is partial recovery, with mild residual affect left. This will most probably (90%) improve slowly in the next few days. If there is no improvement then you need to consult a Neurologist for need of any medicines.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you don't beleive this has anything to do with NAION?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

will this likley happen again

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy is a different entity. In this the patient has sudden decrease in vision in the affected eye, there is loss of vision field i.e. patient is not able to see in left, right or central part of the vision. The diplopia in a particular gaze is not the main symptoms. So, this is not mostly NAION. This is compromise of the nerve supply to the eye muscles.
Regards
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Of the TIA occurs again, then the symptoms might reoccur or can be a severe attack. The cause of TIA needs to be found (hypertension, high cholesterol etc) and treated to prevent further attacks.
Regards
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help.This has been a very stressfull couple of weeks. Where do you have a practice?