Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

since having an intraoccular lens replacement in my right eye

Customer Question

since having an intraoccular lens replacement in my right eye 21 days ago to improve my vision i've been experiencing some sort of visual disturbance in the left periphery likend to the flickering you see from strobe lighting. Why is this pls?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

is this a daily occurence? how long does the flash last? is it in certain lighting only? are there new floaters? when is your next appointment?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is a daily occurance but doesn't happen all the time although for some reason today I have been noticing it more. It does seem to become more noticable or is affected more by brighter light or when i work the eye a bit harder. It's mild but concerns me and before i have the other eye done i need to be sure that this is not serious and will not give me any future problems. No I haven't noticed new floaters and my next consultation with professor Ivan venter is next tuesday.

There are a couple of possibilities

One is that the implant is reflecting lights off of its edge in certain lighting conditions, this is normal most of the time

Other is that the gel in the back of the eye is undergoing changes, this puts you at risk for retinal tears

You need to mention this to him at the next visit and have the eye dilated and checked to make sure all it well, most likely, it is not a worrisome thing and you can have the other eye done as well, regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What I was referring to as a possibility is a tear in the retina, that is the thin layer of tissue in the back of the eye that can be damaged and if left untreated or unnoticed can lead to blindness in the eye. This is why it is important to get a dilated exam, if one is discovered an in office laser can help fix it. Regards