Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My sister developed a red right eye and the dr. told her she

My sister developed a red right eye and the dr. told her she had pink eye, however it did not get better and they sent her to an eye dr. He in turn sent her to a neuorologist and they decided that her problem was to much spinal fluid, therefore causing her headaches and now she cannot see, they have taken off some spinal fluid but did not help, she also is having a hi blood pressure problem with the headaches,Do you have any ideas what's causing her to loose her sight, they have also done a brain scan, PLEASE HELP
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Sorry to hear about what is going on with your sister.

It is true that high intracranial pressure (fluid that builds around the brain and spinal cord) can also be transmitted to the optic nerves. This condition is called pseudotumor cerebri.

Even if the pressure is relieved, the sight that is loss may not return, though it can return in some cases. The key is to monitor the pressure with her neurologist and follow her vision with her ophthalmologist or neuro-ophthalmologist (visual acuity and visual fields).

Treatment is usually weight loss, medications such as Diamox. If the symptoms are worsening, then surgical intervention may be needed (repeated lumbar punctures, ventricular shunt, or optic nerve decompression).

Treatments are tailored to each patient and risk/benefits that needs to be discussed with her doctor before proceeding.

Best of luck to your sister. I'll be happy to answer other questions you may have.

Dr. Khu