Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I had a Stye infection in my right eye. The Stye went away

I had a Stye infection in my right eye. The Stye went away after a few days (of hot compresses) but that eye continues to remain a bit watery - not continuously but sometimes more than at other times. Do I need to get a prescription medication for this or is there some OTC remedy available ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Hello John,

Styes are due to clogged oil glasses within the eyelids. Hot compresses work by softening the clogged oils and allowing it to drain. It is likely that you have blepharitis which can cause irritation and extra watering of that eye.

It is recommended that you continue the warm compresses 2x/day. After the warm compresses, use baby shampoo (diluted in water) and scrub the base of your eyelashes, taking care not to scratch the eye. I recommend using the pads of your fingers, but some people use q-tips or a towel. You can also find pre-prepared wipes at the pharmacy (similar packaging as towelletes).

Over-the counter artificial tears (not the ones for "gets the red out") may help with any underlying dry eyes.

It should clear over time.

Dr. Khu