Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

If a person has Subretinal neovascular membrane in one eye,

Customer Question

If a person has Subretinal neovascular membrane in one eye, and glaucoma in 2 eyes, will this be considered as a disability?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Disability is based on function, not diseases. A person may qualify for disability if the diseases decrease the function to a certain level. In vision, the best eye has to see 20/200 or worse and/or has a visual field of 10 degrees or less. It doesn't matter what disease(s) you have; so long as your function is decreased.

When a person apply for disability, they would have to go through an entire different disability examination.

Hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr Chan,

The ADA laws were changed in Sept 2008 regarding functions. As a patient, what if I had a decrease in function that was not covered in before 2008?

Since the ADA was admended, should I be grandfathered under the new ADA in 2008?

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

I'm not sure how that works. I would think that the determination of your disability status would be based on what you are right now and based on the law at the time of your application, not past legislation.

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Also, as far as I am aware, the new amendments which started January 1 served to broaden the scope of coverage. It should be easier now to be declared disabled.