Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

I have non moving black shapes in both eyes. Shaped like a

I have non moving black shapes in both eyes. Shaped like a sea horse in the right and in reverse in the left eye. In the dark and when first waking in the morning they are very disturbing. I've had them three years and they are getting bigger. Two opticians have thoroughluy examined my eyes, both last year and the the previous year and their only possible explanation was that it may be migraine. They are there constantly. Do you have an explanation please.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Migraines may be a possibility; however, they only last 15-20 minutes. Have you had any eye surgeries? Do you take any medications? What other medical condition do you have? Do you see any flashing lights? These shapes are there at all times?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've had no eye surgery or previous problems, I'm take no medication, I have no flashing lights but I have noticed the ocassional flickering lately and the black shapes are there all the time, when the light is poor. It is always when I'm In a dark room and when I first wake in the mornings. I've had migraines for thirty plus years, but they are almost non existent nowadays and I know how to manage them if I feel one coming on. I've never ever had flashing lights or trouble with my vision during a migrain attack.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

It certainly doesn't sound like the typical migraines. Sometimes, the gel in the eye (vitreous) can separate and float in one place (called syneresis). This is a precursor to it breaking up completely and floating around. But your symptoms are concerning. I would advise you to see an ophthalmologist to make sure that your retinas are OK. I also think that you need visual field testing to see if there indeed are blindspots in your peripheral vision. Blindspots in the peripheral vision on the outside of each eye may represent a bitemporal hemianopsia (this can be caused by serious conditions).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>I have had peripheral vision tests done at SpecSave and they were said to be quite satifactory.</p><p> I am aware that the gel can become detached but can it stay as a black shape without floating? </p><p>Is it signifcant that I can see the shapes in a dark room or half light, both with my eyes open and closed?   </p><p>I will go to my doctor and get a referral at the local hospital eye clinic. Hopefully it is nothing too serious but I will get it checked following your advice..</p><p> </p><p> </p>
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

Initially, it is called syneresis. It can stay in place (this is prior to it breaking up completely). This is inside of your eye so you can see it with eyes open or closed. Many optical stores have a very small screening visual field testing that is not very precise. When you go see the eye doctors, make sure that you get a full perimetry, not just the screening one.

Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified in ophthalmology